Advocate for diverse perspectives
- I can be curious and open.
- I seek to understand and respect there will be differences between my perspective and the perspective of others.
- I can identify when others share my perspective.
- I use active listening methods.
- I use language that does not exclude.
- I engage with the diverse people in my environment.
Definitions – what the terms used in this competency mean
- Perspectives: opinions, cultures, experiences, beliefs, ability, age, gender, roles, friends, affinity groups
- Advocacy: behaviour within the workplace should align with organizational values and be in accordance with local legislation (e.g. safety, protected grounds)
- Language: verbal, non-verbal (cues, free from words, phrases) and that reflect stereotypical or discriminatory views of people or groups, whether deliberately or inadvertently
Underpinning knowledge – what do people need to know to be able to demonstrate this competency?
- The role of context in communications.
- Language that can avoid people feeling excluded.
- Examples of language that commonly excludes people and why it does this.
- Techniques and strategies that help supressed differences to become clear.
- Barriers and enablers to openness.
- Active listening techniques.
- Methods of inquiry, appreciative inquiry techniques.
- Emotional intelligence.
- Stereotypes, prejudice, bias.
- Organizational culture.
- Applicable legislation.
Example(s) – what might this look like in practice?
- You overcome your impatience during long drawn out debates in the team, and you learn to recognize their value.
- You read recent research findings on the achievements of diverse teams.
- You ask HR for help to adapt your interviewing style to attract more diverse applicants for your team.
Related resources – Strengthen your competencies with TRIEC Learning
E-Learning: Culture and Workplace Interaction
Videos and Guides: Cross-Cultural Teamwork, Scene 4: Facilitating Contributions to Team Discussions
Videos and Guides: Cultural Perceptions of Change and Leadership, Scene 2: Building Vertical Rapport and Collaboration
Videos and Guides: Cultural Perceptions of Change and Leadership, Scene 3: Addressing Workplace Conflict