Foster, promote, support and drive inclusion in my organization
Performance Criteria – in my organization, I…
- Recognize the shared interests and values of those in the workplace and community.
- Promote practices that leverage diversity in the workplace and community.
- Attract, recruit, on-board and promote diverse talent using bias-aware and inclusive practices.
- Provide opportunities for full participation, development and advancement to all employees and stakeholders.
- Develop and use D&I KPIs to track the organization’s progress with D&I.
- Build teams that reflect and leverage the diversity and inclusion in the organization.
- Encourage organization members to develop empathy and respect for everyone.
- Use a variety of D&I strategies to support diverse team and community members.
- Help the organization to understand the business case for D&I.
- Advocate for diverse perspectives that reflect the diversity of the organization.
- Consistently demonstrate integrity and credibility, and build trust through inclusive behaviour.
Definitions – what the terms used in this competency mean
- Stakeholders: relevant community members, shareholders, owners, subcontractors, customers/clients, suppliers
- The business Case for diversity and inclusion.
- D&I strategies to support diverse team and community members.
- Bias-aware and inclusive practices.
- Inclusive behavioural expectations
Example – what might this look like in practice?
- Recognizing the lack of women represented in senior executive levels, the HR leader brings together the executive team in a workshop to redefine the criteria for ‘high potential’ to reflect how people might get results differently.
- You review the employee engagement survey questions and identify questions that can measure characteristics of an inclusive environment, align these metrics with the D&I objectives of the organization and start tracking these metrics over time to demonstrate improvements.
- You review the recruitment process in your organization, identifying those process steps that allow biases to unintentionally contribute to lack of diversity in your workforce.
- You contribute an article to the department blog that shares your personal perspective of the importance of reaching out to include a group of new refugees who have recently been hired by the organization.
Related resources – Strengthen your competencies with TRIEC Learning
In-Person Workshop: Certificate in Inclusive Leadership (Program offered yearly)
E-Learning: Leading the Conversation 1 & 2
E-Learning: Unconscious Bias in Resume Screening
E-Learning: Inclusive Interviewing