Increase my awareness of diversity and inclusion
- I can manage my own development.
- I proactively seek feedback.
- I’m open to constructive feedback.
- I reflect on my performance with the goal of self-development.
- I recognize my biases and how they impact on my behaviour.
- I can change or adapt my behaviour to develop myself.
Definitions – what the terms used in this competency mean
- Feedback: in an ongoing, informal, or formal context e.g. during assessments. You can use this competency inside and outside the workplace g. in feedback from colleagues (360 degrees), clients, or from your personal network and influencers.
- Behaviours: including performance on diversity and inclusion
- Self-Awareness of values, beliefs, cultural conventions and language use, barriers, enablers
- Reflective practice: the ability to reflect on your actions to continuously learn
- Feedback: effective ways of obtaining feedback, feedback styles, barriers, enablers.
- Emotional intelligence, understanding of behaviour change
- Stereotypes, prejudice, bias: techniques to challenge assumptions about others, ways to minimize stereotyping, how become aware of your biases, evidence-based decision-making
- Organizational culture.
Example(s) – what might this look like in practice?
- Becoming aware that your team is less diverse than others in the organization.
- Recognizing that your post-secondary credentials affect your appreciation of some colleagues with college diplomas and work experience.
- You take the last 10 minutes in a day to reflect on one interaction that could have been more positive and come up with other ways of responding.
- After working through an issue with a difficult client for the first time, you ask your supervisor for feedback on your performance.
- Becoming aware of your unconscious assumptions and preferences.
Related resources – Strengthen your competencies with TRIEC LearningE-Learning: Understanding cultural competence Printable resource: Summary of Theories and Key Cultural Influences