Manage issues within diverse groups
Performance Criteria – in my team, I…
- Identify any diversity-related issues in advance and take action to mitigate their impact.
- Collaborate with colleagues and team members to establish group norms that will prevent or minimize issues.
- Analyze any issues that occur, considering the impact of dimensions of diversity and our personal assumptions.
- Am alert to verbal and non-verbal communication that might signal diversity-related issues.
- Where issues occur, I take appropriate action to de-escalate and resolve them, seeking assistance if needed.
Definitions – what the terms used in this competency mean
- Issues: tension, difficulties, misunderstanding, failures of communication, assumptions, inequities, micro-inequities, micro-aggression, conflict.
- Dimensions of diversity:
- Diverse: (protected grounds under applicable human rights legislation) race, colour, ancestry, creed (religion), place of origin, ethnic origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, breastfeeding), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, record of offences.
- Diverse: (other dimensions of diversity) personality, education, work experience, work style, personal habits, management status, work location, job title.
- Assumptions: stereotypes, prejudice, biases, conscious or unconscious attitudes.
- Sources of potential conflict; differences that may cause misunderstandings or other difficulties
- Specific sources of conflict between specific groups
- The elements of Describe-Analyze-Evaluate
- Conflict resolution styles
- Conflict resolution techniques
Example(s) – what might this look like in practice?
- A manager helps their direct report to respond without recrimination to any challenges to their authority.
- When developing a project plan, a team member suggests the group considers the events and holy days of different religions in the work schedule.
- You watch for micro-inequities and coach affected individuals on how to address them.
Related resources – Strengthen your competencies with TRIEC Learning