Contribute to inclusive workplace relationships
Performance Criteria – in my team, I…
- Can identify shared perspectives.
- Challenge assumptions about myself or others.
- Engage with people and respond flexibly and positively in diverse groups.
- Apply knowledge and self-awareness to deal effectively with the diversity-related dimensions of ambiguous situations.
- Try to understand alternative perspectives.
- Address micro-inequities that I observe
- Take action within the team to mitigate the impact of systemic inequities.
- Use a variety of strategies to develop trust amongst the team.
- Provide support to colleagues and team members on how to work effectively in a diverse team.
Definitions – what the terms used in this competency mean
- Perspectives: opinions, cultures, experiences, beliefs, ability, age, gender, roles, networks
- Assumptions: stereotypes, prejudice, biases, conscious or unconscious attitudes
- Support: coaching, mentoring, training, feedback, recognition, commitment, information, resources, tools
- Techniques for helping others to adapt their behaviour.
- Effective practices for interacting with others within a diverse group.
- The elements of Describe-Analyze-Evaluate.
- For each of these issues:
- Stereotypes, assumptions, prejudice, and biases
- Systemic inequities
You need to know
- What they are
- Common examples
- Causes and contributing factors (societal dynamics, power, neuroscience, etc.)
- How they impact within the workplace
- How to recognize them (signs and indicators)
- How to address them
Example(s) – what might this look like in practice?
- You seek out a colleague with whom you have recently had an argument discussing how to fix a product issue, in order to better understand why you are so at odds and make sure your relationship has not been damaged.
- You suggest arranging the quarterly team retreat so the team member from out of town can also participate.
Related resources – Strengthen your competencies with TRIEC Learning
Videos and guides: Cultural Perceptions of Change and Leadership, Scene Scene 3: Addressing Workplace Conflict
Videos and guides: Bridging Cultural Differences in Diverse Teams, Scene 1: Building Rapport in the Workplace